Support for young people

    • Support for Young People

      The National Youth Advocacy Service (NYAS) provides information and support to young people. NYAS states “You are the expert in your own life and know what you need.  We will champion your rights.  We will listen to you and help you to get your voice heard.  We will help you to make informed decisions and speak up on matters that effect you.  NYAS is always on your side.

      NYAS has a lot of useful information on their website – if you would like to find out more click here

      If you are living in care, a care leaver or on the edge of care NYAS has lots of ways you can contact them to get the help and support you need.

      They provide a Freephone Helpline – 0808 808 1001

      The support on offer via the Helpline includes: 

      • A range of service referrals to access expert professionals 
      • Friendly advice and support to help you with a range of issues
      • Information to help you understand your rights and entitlements
      • Signposting to other relevant services and organisations

      If you don’t like using the phone, or you are unable to speak on then phone, then you can contact NYAS via its online chat service.  You can access this here

      Online Chat may not always be available.  If your enquiry is non-urgent you can email [email protected]

      You can also complete the online chat form and an advisor will get back to when they are back online.

      If you need to speak to someone urgently you can call:

      Childline – 0800 1111

      NSPCC – 0808 800 5000